Friday 9 September 2011

The Knockout Stages!

Seeing as the weekend is approaching and will be full of early mornings watching rugby and afternoon naps I thought I'd also crack through the knockout games this afternoon.  So from the group predictions the quarter final line up looks like this:

  • Australia v Wales
  • England v France
  • South Africa v Ireland
  • New Zealand v Argentina

Some tasty matches there!!  All of this is caveatted by the fact that injuries are going to occur.  Due to the fact I have no psychic powers what so ever I can't predict who will be fit and who won't so I'm working on the basis that each team will be able to field it's strongest team.  But an injury to Dan Carter, Brian O'Driscoll or Jonny Wilkinson or any other key player and there could be a change in verdict!  So lets start from the top


Australia v Wales
Wales I think get here by the skin of their teeth after a tough set of group, they're likely to be bruised and battered but all battle hardened.  Australia have had a tough match against Ireland but I think they'll be free scoring and soaring in the over confidence normally afforded to Aussies!  I think Australia will win this, there'll be a bit of a battle up front but I don't think Wales will be able to contain Quade-Cooper and co behind the scrum

England v France
A battle of the northern hemisphere here.  England have a pretty decent record over France in world cups beating them in 1991, 2003 and 2007.  France look strong going into the world cup but the old cliche of not knowing which France team turns up nags at the back of my brain.  England's defence has looked strong in warm up games and if the centre partnership between Tindall and Tuilagi does blossom then defence is only going to get stronger as well as having a lot of balast in midfield to run over the French.  If Jonny remains fit (which we all know is a fairly big if) then I think England get this one, just.  I'll probably be watching this one from behind the sofa!




South Africa v Ireland
Another hummdinger of a match against two sides that some are saying are set to under achieve in the world cup.  I don't buy that.  I think both have got enough quality and experience to threaten any team and this makes for an intriguining quarter final.  On home turf Ireland have always done pretty well against South Africa and it's that that's swaying me towards an Ireland win.  I've a gut feeling that by the time this match roles around, Ireland will be in a good place.  I hope O'Driscoll gets match fit (as I don't believe he currently is) and stays fit - if he does, I think Ireland can win this and progress.

New Zealand v Argentina
Easiest of the quarters to call.  New Zealand.  I'd love to say Argentina but it's never going to happen.


So - from there the semi final line up is thus:
  • Australia v England
  • Ireland v New Zealand

Australia v England
Heart v head for me here.  I got Australia in the sweepstake at work, it's probably the first time I've done a sweepstake and been in with a chance!!  And that's where I have to go with on my prediction.  Australia have too much creativity, flair and dynamism.  Their scrum is much much better than four years ago, even last year so I don't think England can boss that area of the field as much (though I still think England are better up front).  If this core group of players maintains the progression they've shown over the last 18 months then in 2015 they're in with a huge chance of winning, but not this year


Ireland v New Zealand
Are they going to choke?  They've breazed through the Pool matches and the quarter final, is now the time that the traditional chokers make their appearance.  All of Ireland (and most of the rugby world I'd say) will be hoping so.  If the key players are fit, then no, they're not choking.  They're going through to a world cup final on their home ground again.  Ireland no doubt will throw everything at them but it won't be enough.  NZ are back into the final.  Sorry Ireland!


Third Place playoff - England v Ireland
Possibly the least hyped game of the competition and one no one really wants to play.  Whilst both teams won't really be up for this in world cup terms, the Irish love beating England at pretty much anything and everything so I reckon they'll win this.  But really, does anyone care?



The Final - New Zealand v Australia
So it comes down to this.  Six weeks of rugby and we're back to a repeat of the Tri-Nations decider which Australia took.  This will be Australia's 4th final after winning twice previously.  New Zealand are in their 3rd, winning the first ever world cup back in 1987.  When these teams play each other they're normally not games that disappoint - I hope this one isn't and that the pressure won't get to either of the teams.  It will though, and that favours New Zealand.  They have the experience throughout the side to maintain cool heads under what will be huge pressure from the New Zealand public.

This world cup is NZ's. I can't see it any other way - even with the history of failure that belongs to NZ since 1987. 

No comments:

Post a Comment